General information on Seychelles

Q.How do I get to Seychelles?
A.There are daily international flights with Air France, Condor (Germany), Kenya Airways, Qatar (Doha), Air Austral         (Reunion), Air Seychelles (UK, France, Switzerland, Italy, South Africa, Mauritius and Singapore) and Emirates         (Dubai).

Q.What is the weather like in Seychelles?
A. Tropical marine which is humid and cooler during Southeast Monsoon (May to September) and warmer during the         Northwest Monsoon (March to May). Temperatures rarely vary outside of the range of 24oC to 32oC and the country         lies outside the hurricane belt, so severe storms are rare, making Seychelles a year round holiday destination.

Q.Where should I go within Seychelles?
A. Most of the islands can be visited either by plane or boat. Along with the pristine beaches, there are art studios,         galleries, nature reserves, national monuments, waterfalls, religious and national heritage sites to visit. For more         information, visit the website of the Seychelles Tourist Board at www.seychelles.travel/en/home/index.php

Q.How do I travel around the islands?
A. “Air Seychelles” offers daily domestic flights to a few of the other islands including Praslin and chartered flights to         the other islands. “Helicopter Seychelles” is a charter company specialising in island transfers, excursions and         scenic flights. “Zilair” offers an air-conditioned aerial limo service between the Seychelles inner- islands and the         “Island Development Company” (IDC) offers daily flights to Desroches and Alphonse and chartered flights to the         other islands.
        The inter-island ferry leaves from Mahé to Praslin and connections to La Digue and smaller islands can be made         from Praslin. Some islands, such as Silhouette, Cerf and Saint Anne operate their own personal transport service         to and from Mahé.

Q.Is a visa required to enter Seychelles?
A. No foreigner requires a visa to enter Seychelles. A one month’s visitor permit is issued on arrival into the country         and can be extended. All visitors do require a valid passport for the duration of their stay and return, sufficient funds         and accommodation.

Q.Is it possible to stay longer?
A. Extensions are possible but must be applied for a week before expiry of visitor’s permit.

Q.Can I work in Seychelles?
A. The employment market is closely regulated in Seychelles and low limits are set on the percentage of foreign         workers in companies. To work in Seychelles a foreigner will need a work permit, and a GOP (Gainful Occupation         Permit) which comes at a fee.

Q.What is the currency?
A. The currency is the Seychelles Rupee (SCR) which was floated against other currencies on November 3rd 2008.         One Euro is approximately 15 Rupees (at te time of publication)

Q.What are the main languages in Seychelles?
A. English, French and Seychellois Creole are the official languages.

Q.What about education?
A. The literacy rate for the Seychellois is more than 90 per cent and currently there are 23 crèches, 25 primary schools         and 13 secondary schools. The schools are located on Mahé, Praslin, La Digue and Silhouette.
        There are also three private schools: Ecole Française, International School and Independent School, all three         situated on Mahé.
        Seven post-secondary schools and a university will open soon on Mahé.

Q.What is the main religion of the Seychellois?
A. Most Seychellois are Christian with 82% being Roman Catholic, 6% Anglican, 1% Seventh Day Adventist and 3.4%         other Christian denominations. The rest of the islands are 2% Hindu, 1% Muslim and 1.5% other non-Christian         1.5% are non-specified and 0.6% have no religion.

Q.Is there a good health care system in Seychelles?
A. There are medical facilities available on the main islands, with a government hospital and emergency room in the         capital Victoria, and private medical clinics throughout the rest of Mahé and Praslin. Medical insurance with full         evacuation cover is recommended.

Q.Can I bring my pet into the country?
A. A Seychelles does not accept pets for a period of less than 6 months and all bird species are prohibited. All cats         and dogs require an import permit issued by the Veterinary Services and these pets must have valid vaccination         records, including proof of rabies inoculation as well as Veterinary Health Certificate. There is a quarantine period         of 2 weeks to 6 months depending on the country of origin.

Q.Will ownership of the property attract estate duty in the Seychelles ?
A. No

Q.Can a foreign company become an owner of property on Banyan Tree Ocean Estate?
A. Yes, subject to obtaining Government sanction in terms of the Immovable Property (Transfer Restriction) Act.

Q.How is the banking system?
A. Banking hours are generally Monday to Friday 08h00 – 14h00 and Saturday 08h00 – 11h00. All banks will process         travellers’ cheques and process foreign exchange transactions, however passports are required and commission         may be charged. There are ATM facilities that accept most international bank cards throughout the islands of Mahé,         Praslin and La Digue.
        Exchange rates are determined by the market and may differ between the banks. Money may only be changed with         an authorised money dealer such as a bank or bureau de change.
        Credit cards are widely accepted throughout Seychelles.

 Q.What types of banking products are available from the commercial banks in Seychelles and who are the main         commercial banks?
 A.Seychelles has a well-established and financially sound banking environment that offers a diverse range of         products and services. A broad range of account products are available, including current (cheque book)         accounts, savings accounts, call deposits and fixed deposits. Foreign currency accounts are available for         qualifying clients.
        The commercial banking sector provides twenty-four hour banking facilities through Automated Teller Machines         (ATM).All major international credit cards are accepted throughout the country and may be used at the ATMs.
        All commercial banks are regulated and supervised by the Central Bank of Seychelles.
        There are six commercial banks and two other non-bank financial institutions currently established in         Seychelles, namely:

  • Barclays Bank (Seychelles) Ltd
  • Mauritius Commercial Bank (Seychelles) Ltd
  • Habib Bank Ltd
  • Seychelles International Mercantile Banking Corporation Ltd (S.I.M.B.C.) – Nouvobanq
  • Bank of Baroda
  • Seychelles Savings Bank Ltd
  • Development Bank of Seychelles
  • Seychelles Credit Union

Q.Is offshore banking available in Seychelles?
A. Non-domestic banking in Seychelles is regulated by the Central Bank of Seychelles and is administered under the         Financial Institutions Act 2004 to cater for offshore as well as domestic banking. The Act makes provision for the         licensing of offshore banks and incorporates the necessary flexibility to encourage growth in that sector. It also         features full confidentiality with regards to information of its clients with the exception of criminal investigation         cases.
        In Seychelles, there are two banks that have been granted an Offshore Banking License by the Central Bank of         Seychelles, namely, the Barclays Bank (Seychelles) Ltd and BMI Offshore Bank (BMIO).

Q.Is satellite TV available in Seychelles?
A. Multi-channel cable and satellite TV services are widely available. BBC World service and Radio France are         available on FM.

Q. How do mobile phones work?
A. There is GSM coverage on most islands and international roaming on your existing mobile international number         will work on the main islands.

Q.Can one drink the tap water?
A. Tap water meets World Health Organisation standards.

Q.What is the electric voltage in Seychelles?
A. The voltage is 220-240 volts AC 50 Hz throughout the Seychelles and the British Standard square three-pin, 13         amp sharp electric plug is used. Visitors from other countries, other than the United Kingdom, are advised to bring         their own adapters.